Fairfax to Zero is an ambitious effort to promote local policies that will reduce greenhouse gases by 2% every year, reaching carbon neutrality by 2050.
Fairfax County will take bold, urgent and sustained actions to become a leader in local solutions to climate change. Specifically, Fairfax to Zero advocates to:
- Craft a comprehensive county-wide Climate Action Plan to implement the county’s new 10 year Environmental Vision, including annual and capital budget allocations and performance metrics
- Publicly account for progress meeting the Supervisors’ commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions county- and region-wide 2% annually.
- Fully implement public energy dashboards that show the energy use of each public building, and to encourage private businesses to publicly post their buildings’ energy use.
- Install solar panels on county schools and government buildings, and promote installation of alternative energy in homes and businesses.
- Form a public-private sustainability coalition to bring together government, faith communities, labor, business, health care and educational organizations to drive a low carbon/no carbon future for the county.
So how can YOU help?
- Grow the movement by collecting petition signatures online.Here is the link to the online petition: Fairfax to Zero petition. Share the link with others across Fairfax County by email or on social media. Collecting petition signatures to present to supervisors at meetings will show that we have broad support for ambitious action to address climate change.
- Collect petition signatures at local meetings and events. We will also be collecting paper petitions. You can find a printable PDF of the paper petition here. Email email@example.com to join a group collecting petitions at an event near you or to get tips for collecting petitions on your own.
- Join a supervisor lobby team. We will begin to schedule meetings with all the Fairfax County supervisors to promote our Fairfax to Zero initiative. If you’d like to join a supervisor lobby team, email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will connect you with a team leader. Be sure you include your magisterial district in your email; you can find out which district you’re in here: https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/myneighborhood/.
- Attend an upcoming budget hearing: Register to attend an upcoming budget hearing in your district to engage in advocacy for the economic and public health of Fairfax County during the FY 2019 budget cycle. Engage with your district supervisor to urge for climate action within our county. You will find further information and talking points here.
- Support enactment of a C-PACE ordinance: We strongly urge the county to enact an ordinance that authorizes a Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE) program in the county. C-PACE provides a critical mechanism for cash-strapped religious congregations to install energy efficiency, renewable energy, and water saving measures in their buildings. The benefit of C-PACE financing is that it provides much more favorable terms than are available in the absence of this structure. Religious institutions can receive 100% financing. Typically, the investments have an immediate positive cash flow because of the reduction in utility costs combined with the long-term nature of the financing (typically 15-20 years). To read more information on C-PACE please visit our campaign page and sign our petition. To collect signatures at your local meeting, a printable version can be found here.
Visit our Fairfax to Zero Campaign Page to learn how you can support the campaign and take action.